1st grade
Year:  1948
1st Grade
Teacher: Mrs. Higbee


The high school has resided in three separate buildings over its history.

History 1922-1949

The building of the original high school building was completed in 1922 as Portage Agricultural School. This building was in use through 1949, and is now the Portage Public Schools administration building.

History 1949-2011

A new school was constructed during the 1940s and began use in 1949 as Portage Township High School. In 1963, the name was changed to Portage High School when Portage became a city. In 1966 the building became too small with approximately 1,500 students, and the school split into two schools, Portage Central High School and Portage Northern High School. In January 1998 Portage Central High School, along with Portage Northern High School, became an official International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, governed by the International Baccalaureate Organization.

History 2011-Present

In the summer of 2009, the school district began construction of a new building for the high school, adjacent to the old building. Part of the old building was torn down to make room for the new school, and the new school was built around the old auditorium. During construction, some shop classes were held in Portage Middle School. Music and social studies classes were held in the former Waylee Elementary. In the summer of 2011, the old high school was torn down. The grand opening of the new building was August 26, 2011, and it opened for classes on September 6, 2011.                        

original building
old central
school gone
Demolition of Portage Central High School
home Only the trees and our memories..........